She would never know, because he would never tell her. Somehow if she’d known the worst parts, she couldn’t have gone on being a haven for him. He was groping for an idea that he couldn’t quite grasp. Men said they didn’t tell their women about France because they didn’t want to worry them. But it was more than that. He needed her ignorance to hide in. Yet, at the same time, he wanted to know and be known as deeply as possible. And the two desires were irreconcilable.
Random Passages is a random collection of memorable writing.
- Were you in love with her?
- During the first part of your life, you only become of happiness once you have lost it
- Your only chance of survival, if you are sincerely smitten, lies in hiding this fact from the woman you love
- They look so fine, and young, and wrapped up in each other.
- Christ, he thinks, by my age I ought to know
16th century 18th century 19th century 20th century 21st century American Australia Australian autobiography Booker British Central America Christmas Classic crime cruise ship Czech dark diner Dutch English family fish French Greece historical fiction Japan Japanese magical Middle-East mystery New Zealand Panama prison Pulitzer Russian spy thriller thriller tragicomedy Victorian vietnam war Western wolves World War I