For although a man is judged by his actions, by what he has said and done, a man judges himself by what he is willing to do, by what he might have said, or might have done – a judgment that is necessarily hampered, bot only by the scope and limits of his imagination, but by the ever-changing measure of his doubt and self-esteem.
Random Passages is a random collection of memorable writing.
- Were you in love with her?
- During the first part of your life, you only become of happiness once you have lost it
- Your only chance of survival, if you are sincerely smitten, lies in hiding this fact from the woman you love
- They look so fine, and young, and wrapped up in each other.
- Christ, he thinks, by my age I ought to know
16th century 18th century 19th century 20th century 21st century American Australia Australian autobiography Booker British Central America Christmas Classic crime cruise ship Czech dark diner Dutch English family fish French Greece historical fiction Japan Japanese magical Middle-East mystery New Zealand Panama prison Pulitzer Russian spy thriller thriller tragicomedy Victorian vietnam war Western wolves World War I