He once thought it himself, that he might die with grief: for his wife, his daughters, his sisters, his father and master the cardinal. But pulse, obdurate, keeps its rhythm. You think you cannot keep breathing, but your ribcage has other ideas, rising and falling, emitting sighs. You must thrive in spite of yourself; and so that you may do it, God takes out your heart of flesh, and gives you a heart of stone.
Random Passages is a random collection of memorable writing.
- Were you in love with her?
- During the first part of your life, you only become of happiness once you have lost it
- Your only chance of survival, if you are sincerely smitten, lies in hiding this fact from the woman you love
- They look so fine, and young, and wrapped up in each other.
- Christ, he thinks, by my age I ought to know
16th century 18th century 19th century 20th century 21st century American Australia Australian autobiography Booker British Central America Christmas Classic crime cruise ship Czech dark diner Dutch English family fish French Greece historical fiction Japan Japanese magical Middle-East mystery New Zealand Panama prison Pulitzer Russian spy thriller thriller tragicomedy Victorian vietnam war Western wolves World War I